Shaking Up The Norm

Pretty soon holiday music will be blasting from mall speakers and someone somewhere in North Dakota will be enjoying some "chestnuts roasting on an open fire". People in Florida will still be wearing flip flops and shorts but we will all be in the Holiday Spirit nonetheless. It's the norm. Before saying goodbye to 2018 and hello to a whole lotta holiday debt may I challenge you to find ways to readjust yourself and your life so that you are transforming into a better version of YOUrself as opposed to conforming to the version of those around you? There is still time: time in the year, time in your day, time in your life. There is still time to live your best life.

When me and my children left the States and relocated to Paris, everyone around me was in an uproar. I was shaking up a norm and they did not like it. There was no malicious intent in their concern, I know. But if I had given in to their protests, I would have stifled my growth and blanded my story. You see, new adventures add salt and substance to our lives. If we always do things the way they have always been done, what is the point of living? Conformity is death in so many ways.


I refuse to conform to the typical story and script.

I left for France to get married and because I had associations where I was going. They knew the climate way better than I did so I felt confident in my abilities to create a whole other life for my kids. The journey went how the journey went and we eventually made our way back to the States, but not before I learned many things. Relocating to France for the first time was a HUGE learning experience. There is no way I would know what I know if I had not taken that step.

Don’t let the fears and concerns of others stifle your steps. If you feel led by the Lord to go, GO!


People mean well, I know. But people are also very people-y. They get in the way and are oftentimes blinded by their own fears, worries and shames. Do not follow people who are not in the position that you desire. You are crazy if you do.

Because I had this higher vision for my life I was super careful then and I am super careful now of whom I follow, whom I listen to, and whom I allow in my life.

Everyone should not have access to you and your dreams. Do not speak too much of what you will do and where you will go because most likely people will talk you out of it.

I remember when I first revealed to some friends that I was going to Paris. This lady invited me over her house for lunch and when I got there I figured out it was just to talk me out of going. I was like “huh”?! It was easy to not listen to the naysayers because they were living lives I did not want.

These well-meaning people: friends, co-workers, church members, etc were so worried for and frightened over my relocation. Many called and reached out the whole time we were overseas. They could not wait to see us again and spend time with us and continually wished us well and hoped that we were safe. The irony? My black self and my black children were safer, happier and healthier in Paris, France than we have ever been in America. All countries have their flaws and racial issues, but that is a place where we were treated well, welcomed and not mistreated because of our blackness. Today I have a community in France because of my time there. I have new friends who I know and they know me. That could  not and would not have happened if I had allowed the fears of others to dictate my actions.



And now that we are here in the States? I have seen a couple of people a couple of times but no one is checking for us. No one threw a party when we returned and only one friend invited us over to dine with her family when we returned. All of those people who cared so much for our safety and welfare when we were gone; who could not wait until we returned have just….disappeared.

And it is okay. But I have written all of this to let you know, Dear Woman, that when you receive the call to GO: go abroad, go get married to a foreigner, go pursue a new career, go cut your hair, go do something that no one in your entire family has ever done, go learn a new language, go take a new class, go study abroad...On the day that you receive that Heart Call to go, you do that thing!

Do your research, ask for prayers, tell a few people or tell no one at all. You will be excellent. You will have all that you need. You will not fail. Even if you must “return” it will only be a matter of time before you are to GO again. Mistakes are the only way we learn how to be successful. Decide to learn THROUGH your failures, THROUGH your pains. Keep going knowing that the path you pave is your path, not the ones well-meaning friends, family members, and co-workers paved for you.

We are no longer to be conformers, but transformers. Transformed Feminine Women who live lives they actually LOVE.

Today, I feel freer than I have ever felt in my entire life. And this has happened because God gave me the courage to walk away from the crowd. And He will give it to you as well. We can’t conform. We have to stop doing things the way they have always been done.

Some helpful resources in this season of Transformation:



3.  5 Habits of The Most Successful People & other resources by Terri Savelle Foy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Travel on a Budget

The Culture Trap

Say Yes