Tuesdays are for trying something new!

November 1, 2017
Miami, FL




Yesterday I met up with a new group of ladies for breakfast; it was such a lovely experience.

On Sunday my children and I visited a new church; we recently settled in Miami and are in need of a church home pronto. I am a firm believer in getting connected as soon as possible to a strong network of Godlovers as soon as I move to a new place; it not only helps my own relationship with Jesus but it’s just good to be around others who love Christ as much as I do.

Small groups are the lifeline to any thriving church. It is how members are able to build relationships and stay plugged in once the Sunday sermon is done. I signed up me and my children for small groups and was pleasantly surprised to receive a call from Abby on Tuesday morning.

During the call Abby told me about women’s group on Thursdays and then invited me to breakfast with her group at 10am. I immediately turned it down: “Oh no”, I said. “I have a few things to do today so I won’t be able to make it. But thank you for the invite”. After we hung up, I was immediately convicted.

Why did I say no? What did I have on my agenda that I couldn’t meet up with a few ladies for a couple of hours? Nada. Zilch. Absolutely nothing. So I called her back. Yes I did. I called her back, admitted my cowardice at meeting new people and promised I’d be there at 10am.

As I dressed I thought more about my callback, I had to laugh at the change in me. Meeting new people takes work. It takes work to trust. It takes work to allow new people (and their energy) into our space. It takes work to be vulnerable and admit our shortcomings and mistakes. It takes work to be vulnerable.

Vulnerability is at the core of femininity. If we are not vulnerable, we are denying our feminine energy. I refuse to deny my vulnerability. I cry when I feel the need to. I smile and laugh out loud when I feel the need to. I admit my mistakes and faults as needed and I am open to giving and receiving love fully.

Vulnerable in Latin is vulnerare, which means to wound. A vulnerable woman is open to being wounded and this world will wound her, does wound her…which is how we end up with a society full of masculine woman; women who are mean, rude, tough, loud, emasculating, promiscuous, unprotected, unprovided for, hardworking, and incapable of nurturing.

This is not how we are born but this is the way we become. Unless we are taught otherwise. Unless we are protected from the wounds society attempts to inflict upon us. Unless femininity is modeled around us. Unless we are protected and provided for by a good, masculine man.

Be open ladies; and not to just any old one,  but be open to those who are worthy of your energy, essence and presence. Staying closed off, behind a computer screen, or alone will prevent you from making the connections that will help you thrive and grow. This is a lesson I am re-learning and just wanted to share 😊 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Travel on a Budget

The Culture Trap

The Flight